One of the expressed purposes of the Christian Reformed congregations that make up Classis Hamilton is to partner together in shared ministry. Classis has agreed to “decide upon and oversee purposeful ministries that reach out to our local communities and region with the love of God. We will prayerfully seek, establish, and maintain these shared ministries as a Classis and, where appropriate, partner in the leadership and financial needs of these ministries.” The McMaster University & Mohawk College CR- Campus Ministry is one such shared ministry of Classis Hamilton.
To further the work of the Campus Ministry and its Chaplain, Classis Hamilton has formed and mandates a committee to support and supervise the work of the Chaplain, and to evaluate and establish direction for the campus ministry.
The mandate of the committee shall include, but not be limited to, the following tasks and responsibilities:
1) Provide an environment of on-going support for the chaplain, his/her family, the ministry and its core participants through dialogue and prayer.
2) Provide on-going supervision to the chaplain to ensure that his work is in accordance with expressed purposes of the ministry and in promotion of a life of healthy balance, personal wellness, and spiritual vitality.
3) Engage in annual intentional times of chaplain and campus ministry evaluation and review in order to re-focus the direction of the ministry where/as appropriate to the changing context of the campus.
4) Assist the chaplain in promoting the campus ministry and in sharing the fruit of its cultural engagement with the member churches of the classis.
5) To maintain accurate and up-to-date records of bank accounts, contracts (implied or actual), assets, etc.
6) To attend to the financial sustainability of the ministry
The committee shall prepare an annual budget for approval by Classis, to be presented at the September meeting. The campus ministry shall be supported by funds from both Christian Reformed Home Missions and Classis Hamilton Ministry Shares. Classis’ treasurer will remit 25% of the classical contributions quarterly.
- Regular meetings should be held at minimum on a quarterly basis on dates set in advance. The most appropriate months to meet in order to be prepared for classis are: August, November, January, and May.
- Prior to the meeting, an agenda shall be made available to its members.
- Times of sharing Scripture, prayer and the lives of one another should be encouraged and become an integral part of each meeting.
- A secretary shall make written minutes of each meeting. Within the week of the meeting, the minutes shall be completed and forwarded to the members for their review and action (if necessary).
- The committee shall designate one of its members to be present to verbally report at each meeting of classis.
- The members of the McMaster University and Mohawk College Campus Ministry Committee shall be comprised of classically approved members primarily from Classis Hamilton who are committed to a Reformed witness and familiar with the university context. The Committee shall consist of (with at least one of the members being from the calling church):
- a) one Campus Chaplain(s) (non-voting)
- b) two ministers (Classis Hamilton)
- c) up to two McMaster University or Mohawk College students.
- d) up to two University alumni
- e) one member at large
- f) one treasurer appointed by Classis (non-voting)
- g) up to two non-CRC Christian students actively participating in the ministry on campus, functioning as associate members.
- Terms of service:
- Members shall normally be elected for a three year term and shall not serve more than two consecutive terms of office.
- Members shall be elected by Classis in May. The committee shall elect its own officers, except the treasurer, who shall be appointed by Classis.
- By the May meeting of Classis, the committee shall recommend to the classical nominating committee the names of people for appointment to the committee.
- Associate members shall serve at the determination and request of the committee and its Chaplain for a one year term for up to four years.
- The committee shall meet regularly to support and supervise, in conjunction with the Regional Director of Home Missions and the Campus Ministry Director, the work of the Campus Chaplain, and to evaluate the campus ministry.
- The committee shall prepare an annual budget for approval by Classis, to be presented at the September meeting. The campus ministry shall be supported by funds from both Christian Reformed Home Missions and Classis Hamilton Ministry Shares. Classis’ treasurer will remit 25% of the classical contribution quarterly.
Classis approved the following guidelines for use by the Committee to clarify and direct the ministry, the work of the Chaplain, and its own work.